Saturday, September 7, 2013

Magnetic Chalkboard

I had a big, empty wall in my kitchen, and my kitchen needed some character.  So, what better to add in the kitchen than a giant magnetic chalkboard.

First, I taped off where I wanted the chalkboard to be.  I used a small foam roller (for smooth finish) to apply Rustoleum Magnetic Primer.  This primer is pretty expensive ($20 for a quart), but I only used about half of the can for my board.  I did have to use about 7-8 coats to get the magnetic strength that I wanted. [Also, this primer is not latex - so it is NOT easy to wash off.]

This is what the primer looked like after 2 coats.

This is what it looked like after about 6 coats, and magnets were finally sticking.
After what seemed like a million coats of the magnetic primer, the magnets were finally sticking.  I then applied three coats of Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint.  I used the same kind of foam roller for the chalkboard paint too. [Chalkboard paint is latex and is very easy to clean.]

After letting the chalkboard paint dry for 3 days, I prepared the chalkboard surface by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk all over the board and then erasing. [If you do not prepare the surface, your first drawing will stay on the board forever (supposedly).]

Then, we added a border to the chalkboard using wall/window moulding.  We used a miter box and saw to cut the moulding at 45 degrees.  We nailed the moulding into the wall with finishing nails and caulked all of the corners.

Voila!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment